Sunday, November 20, 2011

Homemade mozzarella sticks

http://pinterest.com/pin/32791903506284232/

It should be obvious by now that I'm not very good at remembering to follow directions.  Maybe this is why I never really found myself to be a good cook.  Sometimes my improvising is amazing, othertimes--well, let's just discuss how my homemade mozzarella sticks turned out, eh? 

Overall Comments:  So, I'm pretty cheap and decided it'd be a lot better to just buy a block of cheese vs the package of sticks.  I cut the block into stick-like pieces and then proceeded as per the directions.  My first critical error, I believe, was not considering the fact that the block is longer than the average cheese stick length.  This prevented me, I'm thinking, from achieving the appropriate won ton wrapper seal necessary to keep the cheese inside the stick.  

My second critical error?  I tried to bake vs fry.  I really dislike frying things.  Oh, I love fried things, but the actual act of me frying things?  I have these horrible visions of skin grafts and melted plastic and I spend most of the time holding the tongs like a girly girl holds a kleenex with a smooshed spider. 

The end result was slightly undercooked won ton wrappers and cheese all over my cookie tray.  
Cost (approximately):  $3.00 for the cheese, $2 for the wrappers
Would I make it again?  Honestly?  Probably not.  When you consider the stress of rolling them and sealing them, the extra money you spend to buy Farm Rich cheese sticks (or whatever brand you choose) is well worth it.  

That being said, if I found myself with a plethora of string cheese and a stack of won ton wrappers that would go to waste otherwise, yeah, I might try the whole thing again.  I'd just be sure to seal the shit out of those wrappers.  
What does the Mr think?  "Meh." 



No comments:

Post a Comment